If you want to get to the posts by each of us, you can click our separate names under the Authors heading of that little sidebar on the right. If you want to know more about the authors themselves, this is a nice starting point. :3
TheBigN: I’m a medical school student who also happens to have a nice interest in anime and its related paraphernalia (officer of college anime club, nice little collection of anime/manga growing, etc.). ANIME BANZAI. In case you’re wondering, I’m the one who’s running this ship.
If you need me, I can be contacted at TheBigN (at) gmail (dot) com. If you want more info about this blog itself, or a little bit more about myself, go here. :3
From the Big N: A friend of mine through college, and probably a bigger anime fan than I am. His articles start with “By Nomad (Otto)” and have the “nomadotto” tag designation for future reference. :3
From Me (NomadOtto): Here’s a bit more about me. I’m the BigN’s former roomate/suitemate , continuing friend, and a fairly big anime fan (I like other things too, but this blog is not a good place for them to be discussed, as they are not anime related, and this is an animeblog). I’m currently a bitter graduate student in the sciences, but, all you need to know is that I’m here to post. I was the president of the college anime club, so, combined with my innate robotic superiority, I do get delusions of grandeur from time to time.
If you feel the need to say something to me, write to nomad(underscore)otto (at) hotmail (dot) com, but be warned, I don’t check the e-mail very frequently.
As for my taste in stuff, I’m not gonna post a huge list (A short list is: Genshiken, Utena, Black Lagoon, Excel Saga (Manga only), Ouran, Geass, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Tengen Toppa) , but I will describe what I like and dislike:
- GAR or RAG characters: seriously, bad-assary is awesome
- Science done right: You can’t have solid science fiction without solid science.
- Unique Visual Styles: Character design is a big one, but all types of innovation in the medium are appriciated
- Appropriate, engaging themes: Utena is a brilliant example.
- Meta Commentary: Oh Genshiken, you’re so awesome!
Things I don’t like as much:
- Being hassled about grammar or spelling: I really don’t care, and you can’t make me care. I’m here on the BigN’s sufferance, so complain to him, not me. (I will come down with the hammer if need be though ~ TheBigN)
- One-Dimensional characters: As much as I appreciate stock characters in Roman and Greek Drama, they do get tiresome. Please, no more characters that can be described in one or two words.
- Excessive fanservice/ Moe: If I wanted to watch smut, I would watch smut.
- Shows without a discernible narrative structure: Things have a beginning, a middle, and an end. They begin at the beginning and end at the end. The middle should develop the story, the characters, and/or the theme. No more episodic shows that start in the middle of the action (I understand the difference between starting in media res and/or avoiding info-dumps by not having to sit down and explain everything and starting in the middle of the show), don’t go anywhere, and try to wrap everything up in two episodes, or, even worse, keep going until the money runs out and they drop off into the gloming.
- Shows in which nothing happens: For example, Alpha makes coffee should not be the big spoiler for a show/manga (YKK). Sorry, BigN, had to get the jab in there .
dm00: an (almost) silent partner, invited here by TheBigN because we hang out at the same forum, where the pages aren’t so intimidatingly blank, it seems. Raised by wolves among the science-fiction stacks at my public library, I got into anime because it was a form of animation, and I got into animation because it was an early medium for science fiction before there was a Star Wars.
Taste: Lain (not as deep as it looks), Nadesico (so much deeper than it looks), Haibane Renmei, Simoun, Pani-poni dash, Mushishi, NieA_7, Simoun, Cowboy Bebop, Honey and Clover, Simoun, most things Shinbo and SHAFT, most things Tatsuo Sato (but not Stellvia — watch Shingu instead), the wild experimentalism of Studio 4C (Tweeny Witches, Mind Game, and a lot of wonderful short-shorts and music videos) and especially the independents and were-independents: Shinkai’s films, also Pale Cocoon (Eve no Jikan ho!), and Kakurenbo. I’m thrilled to see good things put together by a small team. Did I remember to mention Simoun? Sadly deficient in the mecha department (unless a simoun counts as a mecha).
Disclaimer: All images are copyright to their respective owners unless otherwise stated, which will probably never happen. The stating I mean.
For at least most of the fanart taken from Japanese artists recently (at least as of 2009), to find out the name of the artist who produced the work, check the file name, then cross-reference with the artist’s works on sites such as Danbooru and Pixiv, and you should usually find them there. If we’re requested to take down some of the works used here by the original artist, we will comply swiftly and mercilessly.
The current header image comes from 倉澤もこ, who’s works can be found here.